Who we are:
The Trust for Public Land is a national nonprofit organization that creates parks and protects land for people, ensuring healthy, livable communities for generations to come. We protect the places people care about and create close-to-home parks—particularly in and near cities, where 80% of Americans live.
Position Summary: The Controller oversees the management of daily accounting functions and provides financial information prepared in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP). This position has overall responsibility for establishing and maintaining the organization’s accounting policies, practices and procedures. Responsibilities also include oversight of the annual audit and tax preparation for the organization and its affiliates. A successful candidate will have experience as a leader in a complex finance department within a mid-large sized organization and is interested in working for a mission-based conservation organization.
- Oversee The Trust for Public Land’s (TPL’s) accounting functions - including general ledger (both cash and accrual), accounts receivable, accounts payable, reconciliations, and payroll.
- Develop / maintain accounting procedures and policies as necessary. Ensure compliance with organizational policies and advise others in the organization of policies and accounting methods.
- Administer Lawson accounting and Databasics software, including system setup, processing, closing, documentation, and reporting for general ledger, accounts receivable, accounts payable, and cash books.
- Advance, maintain and confirm adherence to internal control systems. Perform various internal control functions to ensure accuracy of financial data.
- Direct the preparation of quarterly financial statements and subsidiary schedules including the statement of financial position, statement of activities, statement of cash flows, schedule of functional expenses, etc.
- Conduct the annual audit process and act as principal contact for the external auditors and the audit committee.
- Oversee the preparation of federal and state income tax returns.
- Recommend and implement system improvements as necessary.
- Manage 2-4 staff
Other relevant duties as assigned by supervisor.
As a full-time employee, you will be eligible for The Trust for Public Land’s comprehensive benefits program which includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, three weeks of vacation annually plus ten holidays, and a 403(b) retirement plan, currently with a 5.5% company matching. We offer competitive salaries commensurate with experience.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or equivalent work experience and education required.
- CPA preferred.
- Experience in a public audit firm desired.
- Non-profit accounting preferred, but not required.
- Experience in federal grants, contracts and audit desired.
- Experience in both public and private grants desired.
- Minimum 5 or more years of experience in a broad range of accounting functions.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and motivate staff while maintaining a great working environment and cooperative relationships.
- Ability to work on complex assignments independently using a high level of judgment and initiative in resolving problems and developing recommendations, provide guidance to others.
- Highly proficient with a variety of accounting applications, with strong spreadsheet skills.
- Lawson and Cognos TM1 knowledge desirable.
- Requires excellent oral and written communications
- Ability to work under exacting deadlines while maintaining attention to detail, diligence and commitment to excellence.
The Trust for Public Land is committed to cultivating a diverse staff that is representative of the communities we serve. Applications from individuals having diverse backgrounds and life experiences are strongly encouraged. We are open to the possibility that a great candidate for this job may not precisely meet all of the above criteria; if you believe you’re the right person for this job and can persuasively make that case, we encourage you to apply.