Who we are:
The Trust for Public Land is a national nonprofit organization that creates parks and protects land for people, ensuring healthy, livable communities for generations to come. We protect the places people care about and create close-to-home parks—particularly in and near cities, where 80% of Americans live.
The Staff Accountant performs a wide variety of regular and recurring accounting functions.
This position will be fully remote until our offices re-open (date: TBD) and upon opening can be partially or fully remote.
The Senior Accountant is responsible for managing and leading all areas of accounting related to revenue, including accounts receivables, philanthropy gifts and pledges, and government contracts. The position is responsible for compliance with policies and procedures and conformity with GAAP. The person is expected to be able to balance responsibilities and provide new ideas for optimizing workflow and technology. The position requires excellent time management skills and a commitment to providing exceptional customer service to internal and external stakeholders.
- Supervision of one staff accountant
- Manage the accounts receivable workflow, ensuring compliance and customer service
- Maintain and process pledges and stock gifts by obtaining proper documentation from philanthropy and preparing journal entries to record revenue
- Review and process all cash receipts into accounting system and monitor checking account activity
- Enter cash book and journal entries into accounting system
- Assist in month-end close process, including bank and general ledger account reconciliations
- Assist with audits and tax filings
- Ensure all tasks are in accordance with company policy and proper documentation requirements are met
- Cross-train with expense accountant
- Maintain and update accounting procedures
- Additional duties assigned as required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business (accounting or finance preferred)
- Requires a minimum of 3 years of related experience in accounting and/or finance
- Supervisory experience
- Demonstrated proficiency with spreadsheet, word processing, and accounting applications (e.g., Microsoft Office applications – Excel, Word, Outlook, Teams, etc). Experience with Lawson & Databasics are highly preferred
- Attention to detail, diligence and commitment to excellence; requires a high degree of dependability, consistency, and initiative
- Requires excellent oral and written communication skills
- Requires strong time management, organizational, and interpersonal skill
As a full-time employee, you will be eligible for The Trust for Public Land’s comprehensive benefits program which includes medical, dental, and vision insurance, three weeks of vacation annually plus ten holidays, and a 403(b) retirement plan, currently with a 5.5% company matching. We offer competitive salaries commensurate with experience.
The Trust for Public Land is committed to cultivating a diverse staff that is representative of the communities we serve. Applications from individuals having diverse backgrounds and life experiences are strongly encouraged. We are open to the possibility that a great candidate for this job may not precisely meet all of the above criteria; if you believe you’re the right person for this job and can persuasively make that case, we encourage you to apply.