Sr. Writer and Editor
The Trust for Public Land has an ambitious strategic plan and vision for the future - we are embarking on a brand refresh and digital transformation and searching for the right individual to step into a new leadership opportunity to drive the organization’s storytelling narrative to inspire and motivate audiences to support our mission to bring more parks to more people in more places. Join us and be part of our evolution!
The Sr. Writer and Editor is a storyteller and word smith who can weave compelling narratives that will drive TPL’s marketing and philanthropic objectives forward. This person is versatile and has experience crafting engaging digital and print content for specific audiences from video scripts to blogs and articles to webpages. This role will lead the production of our semi-annual membership magazine, Land+People
. and support national and regional marketing efforts by researching and producing content that showcases our impact and mission across the country.
- Serve as managing editor and drive the production of our semi-annual magazine, developing content and layouts, coordinating contract and freelance writers and internal approval processes to deliver high profile stories on time and on budget.
- Identify and craft compelling content to showcase TPL’s work and impact across the country, including programmatic and signature storytelling development.
- Work closely with internal TPL staff to identify and develop story leads according to editorial calendar and themes.
- Collaborate with our creative team, inputting into creative briefs and copywriting video storylines and scripts.
- Input into campaign briefs to clearly and concisely capture high level messaging, key talking points and takeaways that will inform content development across channels.
- Support executive leaders and subject matter experts to craft and fine-tune authored articles and blogs.
- Ensure content reflects our brand voice and tone and upholds guidelines and standards for style and grammar.
- Be a self-motivated and collaborative team player that can prioritize projects based on team needs and timelines.
- Bachelor's degree in communications, marketing, journalism or relevant discipline
- 5+ years experience as a professional writer and/or editor and writing for digital spaces
- 3+ years experience managing magazine production and directing contract/freelance work
- Excellent research, interviewing, writing, and editing skills
- Ability to multi-task, set priorities, and manage time to be highly organized with complex deadline-driven projects
- Self-starter with attention to detail and excellent follow-through
- Experience managing others preferred
- Interest in and ability to understand, articulate and enthusiastically support the mission of The Trust for Public Land
Familiarity and experience with web Content Management Systems (CMS)