The Trust for Public Land has an ambitious strategic plan and vision for the future - we are embarking on a brand refresh and digital transformation and searching for the right individual to step into a new leadership opportunity to drive the organization’s storytelling narrative to inspire and motivate audiences to support our mission to bring more parks to more people in more places. Join us and be part of our evolution!
The Editorial Director will lead a team of writers providing strategic direction and hands-on support for bringing the organization’s stories to life. This role will work closely with the communication and marketing team to oversee and guide the brand voice and style, as well as collaborate with other internal and external stakeholders to accomplish objectives. In addition to supporting their team with content production, they will uncover and develop signature stories for showcasing the brand in new and compelling ways. A team leader and individual contributor, they will define and drive our brand narrative, identify powerful storytelling approaches, determine priorities, input into briefs, craft inspirational content and stories, lead and mentor staff, and drive project timelines and deliverables.
- Develop, define, and lead our editorial strategy
- Manage team workloads and track budgets and deadlines
- Deeply understand the brand narrative and ensure that voice and messaging is consistent across campaigns, channels and mediums
- Build and maintain strong partnerships and processes across the organization to identify and develop storytelling opportunities at the national, programmatic and field level
- Work closely with the Creative Director on creative concepting for brand narratives, inputting into messaging briefs and writing storylines and scripts
- Serve as chief editor, providing consistent voice, editing, fact-checking, and proofreading
- Drive clarity between review teams and content producers, serving as primary point of contact when addressing macro issues related to language use
- Partner with the Creative Director to craft compelling content and stories to showcase TPL’s work and impact across the country and support executive and SME communication efforts
- Support the Sr. Writer and Editor in the production of our semi-annual magazine, Land+People, sourcing contributors and acting as producer and chief editor to deliver high profile stories on time and on budget.
- Thrive in a high-volume, fast-paced environment with evolving priorities, and be an extremely effective communicator capable of working with senior-level executives.
- Bachelor's or Master’s degree in English, Communications, Marketing, Journalism or relevant discipline
- 10+ years experience serving in increasingly senior roles associated with team management, content strategy, editorial best practices, editorial guidance systems, magazine production and messaging tools
- Strong creative and strategic mindset with excellent communication skills and ability to influence, advise on, and shape consensus to align stakeholders while maintaining an enterprise level vision to meet objectives
- Proven ability to make decisions and advance complex projects, set priorities, and manage time to be highly organized with complex deadline-driven projects in fast-paced environments
- History of teamwork, curiosity and willingness to roll up one’s sleeves to get the job done
- Ability to travel when needed (up to 30% of time)
- Non-profit experience preferred