Who we are:
The Trust for Public Land is a national nonprofit organization with over 300 employees that creates parks and protects land for people, ensuring healthy, livable communities for generations to come. We protect the places people care about and create close-to-home parks—particularly in and near cities, where 80% of Americans live.
The Senior Accountant will be responsible for general accounting processes with an emphasis on accounts payable. The expectation is that this person will be able to balance responsibilities and provide new ideas for workflow and technology. The position requires strong verbal and written communication skills. It requires advance skills with databases, excel, and other software as well as a solid understanding of GAAP.
Summary of Key Responsibilities:
- Manage the accounts payable workflow, ensuring compliance and customer service.
- Manage the rent payments and schedules for our offices as well as the fixed asset schedule.
- Supervision of a staff accountant
- Review and process vendor invoices and employee expense reimbursements and respond to payment inquiries
- Assist in processing pledges and stock gifts by obtaining proper documentation from philanthropy and preparing journal entries to record revenue
- Assist with semi-monthly payroll processing, including timesheet collection and extraction, importing hours to payroll system, and coordinate the processing of human resources related data (i.e., new hires, terminations, leaves, etc.)
- Assist in maintaining the time and expense management system
- Assist in month-end close process, including bank and general ledger account reconciliations
- Assist with audits and tax filings
- Ensure all tasks are in accordance with company policy and proper documentation requirements are met
- Maintain and update accounting procedures
- Additional duties assigned as required
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting preferred
- Experience in accounting systems, Lawson a plus
- 3+ years of accounting experience in the following areas: accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, and general ledger
- Proficient data entry and computer skills, including basic MS Office skills: Word, Excel, Outlook and accounting systems
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to prioritize, time manage and multi-task with limited supervision and sometimes under time pressure
- Superior customer service skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Self-starter with a can-do attitude and a team player
- Dependability, flexibility and professional demeanor