The Trust for Public Land uses parks and open space as tools for advancing social cohesion, equity, community health, and climate resiliency. The Camden Program Director is responsible for leading The Trust for Public Land’s mission delivery in the City of Camden. This leadership requires close collaboration with a host of external partners, including public agencies, community development corporations, environmental organizations, and resident groups. The Trust for Public Land recently co-authored a Parks and Open Space Plan for the City of Camden, which the Program Director will look to advance. Near-term priorities for The Trust for Public Land in Camden include identifying projects for collective impact, supporting community capacity for outreach and stewardship, and leading the design and construction of park and green schoolyard projects.
Oversee program partnerships with local non-profits and community groups in support of park development and stewardship goals. Key partners include City and County agencies, School District leadership, area nonprofits, and resident groups.
Manage all aspects of park and green schoolyard development including oversight of environmental engineers, design consultants, and construction contractors.
Support the outreach and engagement efforts of neighborhood-based organizations by sharing effective communications strategies and providing other technical assistance.
Collaborate with State Director, Finance Director, and Legal Counsel to identify and secure public funding. This will include identification of public funding opportunities, preparing funding applications, executing funding agreements, and contract administration process.
Lead management of multi-year program budget in support of funding goals and annual expenditure forecasts.
Develop and oversee the implementation of public outreach plans in coordination with State Director and other staff to promote program visibility and funding support. Supervise staff in hosting public events.
Support State Director in the development of annual and multi-year strategic plans for the program.
Oversee consultants in the implementation of the program’s design, construction and stewardship functions.
- The ideal candidate will have experience in partnering with diverse organizations to realize shared goals and objectives, and needs an ability to identify ripe opportunities where concentrated action is most warranted.
- As much of our work entails public space improvements, the Program Director should be able to lead design and construction management, including oversight of design and construction professionals, budgets, and project schedules.
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of five years of work experience in the field of community development, urban planning, policy leadership, or park development is most preferred.
- Experience in design and development of green infrastructure will be a strong asset, as public funding sources for stormwater management are a component of our work.
- A commitment to orchestrating a collaborative design process, involving community members, public agencies and other community stakeholders is required.
- Prior work experience with young people and/or diverse stakeholder groups is required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, a high attention to detail and strong organization is required.
- Experience in environmental assessment and remediation as part of overall site development projects is preferred.
- Work experience in Camden, New Jersey is strongly preferred.
- Experience in urban parks development and management is preferred.
- Experience procuring public grants and administering public contracts is a plus.
- Master’s degree in Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Civil Engineering, Urban Planning is a plus.
The Trust for Public Land is committed to cultivating a diverse staff that is representative of the communities in which we live and work. Applications from individuals having diverse backgrounds and life experiences are strongly encouraged. We are open to the possibility that a great candidate for this job may not precisely meet all of the above criteria; if you believe you’re the right person for this job and can persuasively make that case, we encourage you to apply.