We are open to candidates in a variety of cities, including: Boston, Philadelphia, D.C., Atlanta, Seattle and the Twin Cities.
Reporting to the Director of Planned Giving, the Estate & Planned Giving Manager (“Manager”) actively manages the Estate Administration process and reporting and tracking functions of a comprehensive and mature planned giving program. The Manager serves as a point of contact with the financial institution that manages the Trust for Public Land’s life income gifts and provides donor information, as required. Utilizing a team approach, the Manager will serve as a technical planned giving resource and partner to the philanthropy staff, state and program leadership and project managers when working with prospects, donors, and and their professional advisors in order to generate and administer planned gifts that achieve the donor’s philanthropic objectives as well as securing the future financial success of the organization.
- With oversight from the Director of Planned Giving, the Manager is responsible for the day-to-day management of the Estate Administration process.
- The Manager partners with The Trust for Public Land’s Finance Department and with an external company that administers The Trust for Public Land’s Life Income Program, in ensuring seamless distributions of remainder interests to fund TPL priorities
- Tracks open estates and facilitates paperwork necessary to distribute funds in accordance with donors’ philanthropic wishes and TPL policies
- Communicates regularly and effectively with personal representatives and others involved in the administration of the donors’ estates
- Ensures compliance with TPL policies and procedures and external (donor/legal/IRS) requirements; remains alert to ethical compliance issues.
Within the Office of Planned Giving
- Acts as the first point of contact for the Office of Planned Giving
- Responds to donor inquiries with appropriate information on planned giving vehicles. Drafts routine correspondence and produces associated gift illustrations and contracts through the use of relevant software.
- Tracks planned giving marketing efforts and assists with portfolio reviews and management through efficient use of TPL’s CRM database.
- Occasionally serves as a project manager, creating timelines, mailing lists, and tracking action items towards goals for marketing and cultivation activities for the Office of Planned Giving.
- Develops and maintains strong collaborative working relationships within the Philanthropy Department, with outside vendors, and with all levels of staff across departments within The Trust for Public Land
- Ability to determine an individual’s interests, capacity and potential for helping The Trust for Public Land meet its goals, and act appropriately to connect those interests with organizational resources.
- Demonstrates basic knowledge of charitable gift planning concepts. Through coursework, professional development, and other sources, the Manager will remain current on emerging trends and in technical knowledge in the area.
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in non-profit fundraising preferred
- Minimum 1-3 years direct experience in planned giving and estate administration, preferred. Experience in a related field (such as paralegal in estates and trusts law firm, or with a financial institution or within finance office of non-profit) will be considered.
- High attention to detail required
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Ability to effectively communicate planned giving principles and concepts to donors and their advisors is critical
- Demonstrated ability and experience working independently and as part of a team
- Ability to perform successfully and thrive within a geographically remote reporting structure
- Ability to inspire, motivate and marshal institutional resources
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Proficient in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and with one or more CRM tracking systems
- Commitment to the mission of The Trust for Public Land