Launched in 2017 by lead partner The Trust for Public Land (TPL) with generous support from The JPB Foundation, the 10 Minute Walk campaign (10MWC or the Campaign) is a movement with a single goal: to provide easy, safe 10-minute walk (1/2 mile) park access for 100% of U.S. urban residents by 2050. In a time of so many competing priorities for city leaders, this issue campaign is premised on the idea that having access to parks and greenspace within a ½ mile of home not only delivers on a number of public health, environmental, social, and cultural benefits for neighborhoods, but they make for more livable, attractive, prosperous cities.
In order to scale our work, the campaign is diversifying its coalition of partners that can scale our message on the benefit of parks for policymakers and who can help us implement the work of expanding parks in cities, to make greener, healthier places to live. Key to this is also the implementation of our strategic communications plan, as carried out by an outside communications agency.
As a key member of the campaign team, the Associate Director of Partnerships & Outreach will help lead our strategic communications and partnership outreach. The Associate Director must have demonstrated experience in identifying, securing, and managing relationships with strategically aligned organizations or individuals, whether in a business development, media, non-profit, or fundraising environment. The Associate Director must also be able to manage a system for relationship management, as well as build out and and manage an “advisory committee” of campaign partners.
Additionally, the Associate Director should feel comfortable with developing a deep understanding of the technical aspects of our program and strategic communications work, staying updated on key trends and news that might affect our relationships and storytelling, and serving as a “point-person” for our PR agency and partners. Superb research, writing, and project management skills are a must.
Notes: This is a temporary, full time (we anticipate five- to six-months) posiiton, with the potential to extend based on renewed funding
Systems and processes (15%):
We are open to different locations, with a preference to an EST
Maintain current relationship management system and databases for tracking and maintaining updates and relationships with partners, with an eventual goal of designing and managing a communications plan with partners, as well as an “advisory committee” for the campaign.
Relationship creation and management (50%):
- Develop reports, newsletters, event pitch decks/proposals, and other documents to help cultivate existing and potential partners and to raise the visibility of 10 Minute Walk, its cities, and partners.
Strategic communications support (35%)
- Maintain relationships with 10 Minute Walk’s current partners and scope and generate new partnerships through prospect research, targeted outreach, and active participation in relevant networks and events, with the goal of increasing the 10 Minute Walk’s visibility, cross-promotion and knowledge-sharing opportunities for our cities and partners, networking, and storytelling opportunities.
- Manage all external and internal communications related to existing and potential programmatic partners, ensuring timeliness and high-quality collaborations, with a goal of designing an “advisory committee” of these partners.
- Manage any back-end needs for partnership development, including but not limited to drafting scopes of work or memorandums of understanding for partner organizations with legal counsel, coordinating working calls, and tracking partner deliverables / commitments.
- Initiate or deepen collaboration with technical experts and organizations that can help drive measurable progress for cities and mayors in our network, especially based on gaps in current partnership strategy .
- Identify and secure outreach events and other opportunities to promote the 10 Minute Walk, and represent the campaign with poise and professionalism at meetings, webinars, and events.
- Monitor and flag news and updates from cities, mayors, organizations/institutions, or programs/policies that might create new opportunities for engagement – or which may create opportunities for digital / social media promotion.
- Create and pitch event/speaking proposals to spotlight 10MWC team in conferences and events, including but not limited to the American Planning Association annual conference, Aspen Institute, CityLab, and the like.
- Alongside Director of the Campaign, serve as key point person for management of PR agency, to ensure streamlined approvals, deliverables, and timelines.
- Liaise as needed with Trust for Public Land Marketing team as needed on organization-wide communications efforts.
- 5-7 years of direct, demonstrated experience in external communications and relationship management, as would be required for business development public affairs or political campaign work, or managing the external presence of a brand or initiative.
- Experience building out systems or processes for relationship or stakeholder mapping, correspondence, and management;
- Demonstrated ability to proactively identify and cultivate high-profile or –sensitive relationships.
- Stellar writing and research, public speaking, and diplomacy skills a must; journalism or professional writing background helpful.
- Proven ability to distill highly-complex and technical work in a clear, compelling way to external audiences.
- Excellent project management, logistical, and organizational skills attention to detail; ability to see global picture while also implement tactics and problem-solve in a fast-paced environment.
- Proven ability to “manage up” and execute independently with concise feedback and direction from manager.
- Media and marketing experience and/or managing or working directly with a PR agency or communications firm, particularly for non-profits or campaigns, are highly desirable.
- Willingness to travel to partner gatherings and meetings as needed.