Who we are:
Our mission is to create parks and protect land for people, ensuring healthy, livable communities for generations to come.
We are The Trust for Public Land’s philanthropy storytellers and gift stewards. We produce powerful and persuasive content to inspire new and existing donors to support The Trust for Public Land’s mission and provide best-in-class stewardship after making their gift. It is an exciting time to work for us. We have a fresh vision for the future with a powerful tool kit and we are ready to inspire current and soon-to-be supporters in joining us to reimagine and realize the power of land for people to create strong communities that move society forward.
Our Donor Relations team is essential to this vision. We have a startup feel with the benefit of a 48-year-old track record of success. If you are creative, innovative and passionate about the power of land for people, come join us!
Learn more by visiting our website: https://www.tpl.org/about/get-to-know-us
About the Position:
The Philanthropy Writer/Donor Relations Writing Manager is a skilled communications professional with a background in persuasive writing and editing. This position is instrumental in telling The Trust for Public Land’s many stories in order to inspire people and institutions to support our mission and work.
Reporting to the Director of Donor Relations, the Philanthropy Writer/Donor Relations Writing Manager supports all fundraising goals and activities for The Trust for Public Land. She/he/they develop meaningful and motivating cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship communication pieces for individuals and institutions, exciting them to support The Trust for Public Land. She/he/they assist in creating standardized messaging and template materials, and maintaining centralized resources for philanthropy communications. The Philanthropy Writer/Donor Relations Writing Manager is a key member of the Donor Relations team and works in collaboration with relationship managers, project and program staff, marketing and communications, executive leadership, and other functions throughout the organization that showcases our new direction and ensures consistent and compelling messaging.
- Works with relationship managers, project and program staff, and executive leadership across the United States, often serving as project manager to conceptualize, create, and refine communication materials for fundraising purposes, including:
- Proposals and reports for principal and major gifts;
- Concept proposals, cases for support, programmatic write-ups, one-pagers;
- Materials for national, regional and state campaigns
- Letters and other forms of communication from the President and CEO, and other members of the executive team; and
- Other donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship pieces, as directed.
- Provides thought partnership to fundraisers to refine communications strategies for donor cultivation and solicitation; manages communications projects from inception to delivery; helps to ensure consistent messaging nationwide;
- Develops strategic philanthropic messaging; creates and distributes high-level standardized language; produces national, programmatic, and local templates; designs documents and templates;
- Completes other projects as necessary, as programmatic responsibilities and writing assignments may shift.
- Experience in writing and editing in fundraising, legal, government, academic, marketing, or similar fields.
- Advocacy communications experience a plus.
- Substantial experience in writing persuasive communication materials, preferably proposals, reports, briefs, or memos.
- Proven ability to present convincing and engaging arguments for support.
- Ability to function effectively as a member of a team, ensuring close coordination and integration with other staff members.
- Ability to take initiative, prioritize, and problem solve.
- Proven track record of meeting deadlines and deliverables with quick turnarounds.
- Demonstrated experience and proficiency using MS Office.
- Aptitude working in Adobe InDesign a plus.
- Experience working in a Customer Relations Management (CRM) database a plus.
- Interest in philanthropy and commitment to The Trust for Public Land’s mission.