We’re The Trust for Public Land’s storytellers and brand stewards. We land national headlines, maintain a robust social media presence, publish an award-winning donor magazine, and produce print, digital, and multimedia marketing content to engage and inspire more people to support The Trust for Public Land’s mission. It is an exciting time to work for us. We have a fresh vision for the future and new initiatives in the works…and we are ready to inspire the next generation of supporters in joining us to reimagine and realize the power of land for people to create strong communities that move society forward.
Growing our marketing and communications team is essential to this vision. Our team has a startup feel with the benefit of a 47-year-old track record of success. If you are creative, innovative and passionate about the power of land for people, join our team!
About the Position
The Director of Strategic Initiatives, Marketing and Communications works closely with the CMO and serves as a member of the Marketing Leadership Team to set and drive priorities for the Marketing and Communications Department. S/he is our liaison with Philanthropy to develop a holistic communications strategy for our supporters that showcases our new direction and actively identifies opportunities where marketing and communications can support achievement philanthropic goals. S/he will lead complex, strategic initiatives with staff and external consultants that require steady management, clear presentations, diplomacy and engaging various departments within a matrixed organization.
This position can be located in San Francisco, New York, Washington DC, or Denver.
- Leads the collaboration with the national philanthropy team to develop strategies and actionable plans to better understand and expand the donor pipeline.
- Develops and leads project teams involving internal staff, stakeholders and consultants to advance projects.
- Ensures integration and joint planning between marketing and communications and philanthropy teams to grow the pipeline.
- Proactively identifies solutions to risks and barriers that advances projects to determined outcomes.
- Identifies holistic and integrated ways to communicate a unified narrative about the organization’s priorities to existing and potential donor prospects; may develop content in support of the national narrative for fundraising presentations or speaking events
- Advances efforts to leverage technology to gain insights, drive audience-first strategies and inform marketing and communications priorities.
- Applies best practices and an audience first approach to measure efforts and redirect as necessary
- Engages at all levels of the organization to achieve goals; shares regular updates with staff and senior leadership.
- Share best-practices and actively encourages collaboration, across the department and beyond.
- Works closely with the Chief Marketing & Communications Officer to define priorities and serves as a member of the Marketing Leadership Team.
- An exceptional storyteller
- Minimum 15+ years experience in marketing, communications, fundraising, and/or strategy, including at least 5 years in a matrixed, distributed, multi-office field-based organization
- Bachelor's degree or higher in marketing, communications, public relations or related field
- Background in environmental justice, health, environmental issues, conservation or related issues; nonprofit experience required
- Proven track-record of getting things done and finding solutions to complex challenges. Knows how to turn ideas into actionable plans.
- A relationship builder with high EQ and exceptional communication, collaboration and project/account management skills.
- High-energy herder of cats who maintains a positive, upbeat attitude and team-oriented leadership style and approach
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations
- Contributes to recruiting, hiring, developing and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce; knows how to get the best out of people