We’re The Trust for Public Land’s storytellers and brand stewards. We land national headlines, maintain a robust social media presence, publish an award-winning donor magazine, and produce print, digital, and multimedia marketing content to engage and inspire more people to support The Trust for Public Land’s mission. It is an exciting time to work for us. We have a fresh vision for the future and new initiatives in the works…and we are ready to inspire the next generation of supporters in joining us to reimagine and realize the power of land for people to create strong communities that move society forward.
Growing our marketing and communications team is essential to this vision. Our team has a startup feel with the benefit of a 47-year-old track record of success. If you are creative, innovative and passionate about the power of land for people, join our team!
The Director has responsibility for brand, field and marketing partnerships for the organization, including brand identity implementation. The Director oversees the development, implementation, and measurement of marketing and outreach efforts aimed at building awareness, interest and involvement among target audiences. This position ensures marketing outreach is aligned with organizational objectives and collaborates with colleagues in the department and field offices to increase name recognition and deepen audience engagement. The director reports to the SVP of Marketing & Communications, and manages staff and external vendors.
This position can be located in: San Francisco, New York, Washington DC or Denver.
- Drives the organizational marketing strategy and priorities to grow the brand and pipeline of support.
- Responsible for implementing the organization’s national and field campaigns, including paid and unpaid advertising, sponsorships, speaking engagements, partner marketing, and local outreach.
- Executes collaborative campaign planning & execution with digital, content, press and other staff; defines marketing metrics against overarching strategy and budget, and leads team in execution.
- Increases The Trust for Public Land’s name recognition among identified target audiences, with a focus on priority philanthropic geographic markets. Works closely with the field offices to craft marketing strategies that ladder to national initiatives and goals.
- Leads highly coordinated partnerships within the department, corporate partnerships and the annual fund that maximizes, prioritizes, and leverages marketing opportunities.
- Coordinates measurement and reporting, communicates actionable insights, engages colleagues in planning discussions, and shares regular updates with staff and senior leadership.
- Manages the marketing team’s budget, vendors, and consultants against contract deliverables and SOW.
- Drives the evolution of the organization’s marketing program by identifying/pursuing new and innovative strategies, while maintaining a sustainable workload for the team.
- Provides strong leadership, collaboration, capacity building, and professional development.
- Key liaison with other directors/staff, online, design, philanthropy, state offices, programs.
- 10+ years experience in branding, marketing, marcomm, marketing co-ventures and field marketing, including at least 3-5 years in a matrixed, distributed organization.
- Agency or nonprofit experience helpful, with a background in social justice, environmental, conservation or related issues preferred.
- Highly creative and collaborative, with a track record of developing and implementing successful marketing campaigns that integrate on- and offline.
- Outstanding organizational skills with demonstrated ability to plan and coordinate a variety of detailed outreach projects.
- Exceptional communication, collaboration and project management skills.
- Master connector: ability to work with multiple stakeholders and to connect people and processes for the most effective outcome.
- Proven track record of effectively managing high performing teams.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Bachelor's degree or higher.