The Trust for Public Land’s Bay Area Program works with communities, local agencies and non-profit partners to design and build parks and green schoolyards in disadvantaged neighborhoods in the San Francisco Bay Area. The Community Outreach Associate will support program staff in engaging local communities in all project phases, from concept design through implementation and stewardship. The Community Outreach Associate will assist with a variety of community engagement activities to ensure meaningful and inclusive participation in park creation.
Responsibilities or Lists of Tasks:
1. Community outreach and organizing
2. Workshop and meeting preparations and facilitation
- Represent TPL in the project communities
- Work with TPL staff to develop outreach and communication strategies
- Identify and engage with community organizations and stakeholders
- Develop outreach and educational materials (fliers, newsletters)
- Organize and participate in outreach events (workshops, barbecues, art projects, tabling at events, etc)
- Generate and maintain community contact lists
3. Community feedback documentation and admin support
- Organize workshop logistics including identifying meeting locations, securing refreshments and preparing and bringing other necessary meeting materials and supplies
- Help prepare meeting presentations
- Conduct phone calls to alert community members to upcoming meetings
- Create and mail flyers for upcoming meetings or workshops
- Facilitate or present at community meetings or workshops
- Record community feedback during workshops or meetings
- Maintain organized workshop supply storage between engagement events
- Work with project staff to compile and summarize community feedback
- Assist project staff to document meetings and events
- Assist project staff with any other documentation related to outreach activities
- Provide general administration and program support
This position requires working ‘off-hours’ including some weekend and evening meetings and events as well. Though the position is based out of our San Francisco office, the Community Outreach Associate will engage in field work at various project sites (San Francisco, Richmond, Oakland and Hayward). Access to reliable transportation is required.
Experience, Education and Skills Required:
- 2 years of community engagement or related experience.
- Understanding of the design and construction process for public spaces
- Demonstrated ability to build trust, motivate and support community residents to actively engage in change making activities in their community.
- Demonstrated cultural competency and understanding of environmental justice issues in low-income, urban communities
- Well-organized and detail-oriented.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Basic graphic design skills: Adobe Creative Suits, PowerPoint.
- Ability to work with moderate level of supervision
- Flexibility with periodic nighttime and weekend community meetings
- Must be able to work independently out in the field as well as in a standard office environment.
- Must be able to engage with diverse community members, elected representatives, and non-profit partners in order to ensure successful park projects.
- Must be able to work as part of a team and support the framework of a national organization.
- Fluency in Spanish or other languages besides English is a plus